Air rifles are becoming much more powerful and cheaper as well which makes them more dangerous than ever. While it should be obvious I often have to remind people that airguns are not a toy. Taking proper safety precautions will ensure that nobody gets hurt and is definitely recommend. Below I am going to list some of the most important safety precautions that you should take when shooting air rifle. Failure to comply could end up with somebody getting hurt and even putting an eye out, so please take the time to read the safety tips as well as watch the video below.
Airgun Safety Tips
- Never point the end of a barrel towards anyone whether the air gun is loaded or not.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger when loading your air rifle, especially so with break barrel models.
- When using a break barrel air rifle make sure to point the end of the barrel towards the ground when reloading and make sure to keep ahold of it.
- Make sure to properly store you airgun away whenever you’re not using it. If a child gets ahold of it then it could end very badly.
- When storing away your air rifle always make sure it is unloaded as well and it is even recommended to store your pellets in a separate location to avoid anyone trying to use your airgun while you are away.
- Never shoot at a metal target that is too close if you are ever shooting a BB because it is much more likely to ricochet than a pellet which will probably flatten on impact.
If you follow these simple safety tips it is practically impossible for anyone to get hurt. If you are letting your child shoot your airgun or even be around you I also recommend for them to wear safety glasses as well. As an adult you can choose not to wear them but for a child I would definitely recommend that they do. Shooting airguns is a ton of fun and as long as you are safe about it will have nothing to worry about.